There are so many places and platforms to buy comics nowadays. One that I was especially leery of was Instagram. The big reason being is that payment through PayPal Friends/Family is a common practice. However there is a great community of sellers on IG and I was pleasantly suprised by one of them. I was checking out a live sale and saw an incredible deal on a Thanos bundle and bid on it. The seller packed his books like a pro and they arrived safe and sound. That seller is our focus on today's interview. If you're on Instagram I highly recommend checking out one of his live sales @comicbooksinboston!
What got you into comics?
- I started reading comics when I was about 12 or so, picking up stray issues from the pharmacy here and there. I just liked Spider-Man and the mythos behind superheroes in general. I remember having the records/books when I was much younger, probably 5 or 6, so I'd listen to these stories about Batman and Spider-Man over and over. I guess it just stuck.
Favorite childhood memory about comics?
- Reading comics at home on snow days or sick days. I'd say that combined with the memory of looking over the art and panels on the Spider-Man or Batman records, while listening to those stories.
What got you into selling comics?
- Money, baby! For real though, money! But also I'm starting to wean off comics. I initially tried to sell my whole collection for $2,000 or so, but that didn't go as planned and I just kinda stumbled onto selling via Instagram.
Biggest mistake you made when you started selling?
- Packing. It's tough, I thought a few slips of tape and a box would cover it. I learned how to pack by just buying a ton of comics and seeing what others did. Cardboard is your friend.
What’s your favorite character or title to collect?
- ASM, but these days I'm into artists moreso. I love Pepe Larraz, Julian Todesco, Adam Hughes, Jeehung Lee etc. My sweet spot is hard to find, keys that happen to be gorgeous variants.
Next big thing for your personal collection? Your grail? I
- I'd like an X-Men #1 or a GSX #1 or an Incredible Hulk #181!
Most unique or favorite thing in your collection?
- I'd probably say my Miles stuff. Variants, a couple UF4s and some cool covers.
Raw or Graded? Why?
- Anything more than $1000, grade it. Anything under $500, keep it raw.
Best find or score?
- For years I only bought stuff I read and enjoyed reading. So, I was lucky to have some of that stuff get hot recently. I'm pretty new to spec.
Advice to new sellers or collectors.
- Buy what you love, don't be a dick.