This week's interview series is with a friend I know through the Chicago hip-hop community. We're Facebook friends and saw one of his posts promoting his Instagram account: @excelsior1975. He had some amazing content and also is a comic book collector! Check him out on Instagram for all the incredible stuff he's put together.
What got you into comics?
- The vibrant colors and images attracted me without a doubt .
Favorite childhood memory about comics?
- As a kid in the 80's I really didn’t know of any comic shops near me. I always rode my bike up to the nearest 7-11/White Hen to buy my comics. I remember always feeling like it was a victory to get the next issue in a series because sometimes that next Cap or Spider-Man issue was gone!
What got you into creating content on Instagram?
- I’ve always been a collector and collected figures, toys and records . When Instagram came about I saw people taking pictures of toys and collections. I then came across a group called ACBA (Articulated Comic Book Art) I saw what they were doing and totally wanted to jump into it! It’s been a blast, especially during the last year with Covid, not being able to go anywhere. It gave me a great outlet to be creative.
Biggest mistake when you started?
- Sometimes the biggest problem isn't necessarily the ideas. However when I come up with an idea, the execution and set up can be daunting. It can take hours sometimes to just get it right.
Who's your favorite character?
- I’m a Cap guy but I love everything Moon Knight. Marc Specter is one of my absolute favorites.
Next big thing for your personal collection? Your grail?
- My next grail is on Marvel Legends, Fing Fang Foom, it’s one of the few I don’t have. I might pull the trigger on one someday lol!
Most unique or favorite thing in your collection?
- Honestly a little comic my girlfriend drew for me, I love it so much I have it printed out a shirt.
What's the future for @excelsior1975?
- Just continue to get better make the scenes more elaborate. I want to continue to put out interesting content.
Best find or score?
- Biggest I came across a copy of werewolf by night 32 years ago for under 5 bucks It wasn’t a massive value on it then but man I felt like i won the lotto that day.
Advice to new collectors or content creators.
- When creating content, always try to be original but don’t be afraid to be inspired.
A huge thanks to Chad for the interview and all the great content, it was a real treat going through your Instagram account!